Special (One Day) Licenses

One-Day Special Event Liquor License

The state's Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission allows for permits that authorize the sale of alcoholic beverages to the public at special events.

The Board of Selectmen may issue special licenses for the sale of wines and/or malt beverages to any enterprise, however, special licenses for the sale of all alcoholic beverages may be issued only to non-profit organizations or to individuals for a private event where there is no charge to the guests for alcohol (i.e., open bar). 

The Board of Selectmen cannot grant special licenses to:


  • Any person for more than a total of 30 days per calendar year
  • Any person that has an on premises license application pending before it
  • Any premises that has an alcoholic beverages license


Do I Need a One-day Liquor License?

A One-day License is necessary whenever money is changing hands by the following:

  • A direct sale of alcoholic beverages
  • When tickets are sold to an event where alcoholic beverages will be consumed
  • When a caterer is supplying alcohol on which they will make a profit (indirect sale)
  • You must apply for a Special One-day License if you are renting any Town-owned facility


A Special One-day License is not required if: 

  • The event is at a private dwelling
  • An event is in a facility or establishment that already holds a valid alcohol license
  • The caterer holds a 12C Caterer’s License (unless the event is being held at a Town-owned facility)


If you have any questions about whether or not your event requires this license, please call the Town Clerk’s office at 978-688-9501 or you may email Suzanne Pelich at [email protected].


Click here to Apply


Alcoholic Beverages Regulations