Recycling FAQ's

How do I get a red bin for recycling, and can I get more than one?

  • Red Bins are no longer a requirement of the Town for recycling. The Town has switched to single-stream recycling. You may combine all rinsed recyclable items in one bin or barrel of your choice. You will need to stop by the Department of Public Works - 384 Osgood ST or Town Hall to pick up a green 'bumper' sticker that says "RECYCLE" to put on your bin(s) or barrel(s). Be careful to keep the weight of the container less than 30 pounds. If you end up with more items than will fit in one bin, that's means you are recycling a lot! You can put your overflow material in any other plastic container (no plastic bags) that is of comparable size and leave out along side your original barrel.

What types of items can I put out for recycling collection?

  • Curbside recyclable items include paper (newpaper, magazines, phone books, mixed paper, beverage containers, paperboard such as cereal boxes, junk mail including window envelopes), cardboard (flattened and cut or folded to 30" by 30" or smaller), and glass, metal and plastic food containers #1, #2, and #6. Click here to be directed to our current recycling flyer.

Why would my recycling be left at the curb?

  • There are several common problems to be aware of in terms of preparing your recycling for collection. Please avoid these common problems to ensure pickup of your recycling:
  1. No plastic bags -- The processing facility that receives our recyclable material does not accept plastic bags, so please do not put your newspapers or cans and bottles into plastic bags. In fact, plastic bags which can cause problems for the automated systems, have to be manually removed. Most plastic bags can be brought to your local grocery store for recycling.
  2. Do not put paper loose in the recycling bin -- All paper items should be together in paper bags, and containers should be loose in the bin. The only exception to this is with cardboard, discussed next.
  3. Unflattened and/or Large Cardboard -- Cardboard that is larger than 30 inches by 30 inches will not fit in the recycling truck, and unflattened cardboard causes the truck to fill up too quickly since the material is not compacted. All cardboard should be flattened and can be placed in the paper bag with the rest of your papers, or can be tied with string, stood up between a couple recycling bins, or placed under your recycling bin.
  4. Dirty (Contaminated) Recyclables -- Containers that are not rinsed out and paper or cardboard with food waste can contaminate the rest of the truckload and result in additional processing costs.

What should I do if my recycling was not picked up?

  • Recycling must be set out at the curb by 7:00 am on your collection day, or as early as 5:00 pm the day before. If your recycling was missed, use the Report It link located at the top right corner of the page, or call the DPW to report your address or TBI @ 978-686-2020. If the recycling truck is still out on the road, they may be able to get back to you on the same day, if not please leave your recycling at the curb, and it should be picked up the following business day.

Is it necessary to separate recycle items if we are still using the red bins?

  • If your paper is in an open container, such as a red bin, then you will need to contain it in a paper bag so it does not become litter. Other than that, there are no sorting requirements.

Can Styrofoam (marked 6) be recycled in North Andover?

  • #6 poly-styrene comes in two varieties…foam and rigid. Recycling rigid plastic and recycling foam are two different processes. We can recycle all rigid food and beverage containers (like take out food containers - they must be rinsed clean), but cannot recycle foam (like packing materials or packing "peanuts").

How do I get rid of latex paint?

  • Latex paint is not considered hazardous, but needs to be dry/hardened when put out with the trash. The best thing to do is either leave the lid off the can until the paint dries, or help the drying process along with kitty litter, or a waste paint hardener which can be purchased where paint is sold. When the paint is dry, and you put it out with the trash, leave the lids off so that the trash collectors know it is dry. They won't take it wet because it can make a real mess in a compactor truck, and subsequently on our streets!
  • Latex paint is not taken during Household Hazardous Waste day. However, wet latex paint and/or oil based paint may be taken to the TBI Facility on 210 Holt RD, North Andover for a fee. For Questions call TBI Facility 978-686-2020 or the DPW.

How can I get rid of a computer or television?

  • Computer monitors and televisions contain significant amounts of lead. Even the newer flat screen TVs and computer monitors contain mercury. These items must be dropped off at the TBI Facility on 210 Holt RD, North Andover. Or, you may call them to schedule a pick up 978-686-2020. There is a charge for drop off as well as curbside pick up for these items. You may inquire through TBI directly.
  • Computer monitors and televisions are banned from disposal at incinerators and landfills, which is why we have set up programs to keep it out of the trash. Check out more information through the Massachusetts State Waste Bans, and our Town Bylaws about trash disposal.

What should I do with appliances?

  • Appliances and large metal items are collected curbside by appointment. The Town of North Andover has contracted with TBI Facility for the collection of these items. Please call them at 978-686-2020 to schedule a pick-up. You may also bring the item to their facility at 210 Holt RD, North Andover, there could be a fee associated with this service. Please click here to see the Recycling at a Glance Flyer for more information or call TBI for clarification. If your appliance still works you may want to consider donating it. If you have a new appliance delivered to your home, it is usually possible to arrange for the delivery company to take away your old appliance at the same time.
  • Appliances, sometimes called White Goods, are banned from disposal at incinerators and landfills, which is why we have set up programs to keep it out of the trash. For more information check out Massachusetts State Waste Bans, and our Town Bylaws about trash disposal.

I would like to get rid of some furniture, what are my options?

  • Help the Town reduce waste and encourage reuse by donating furniture in good condition. Our trash hauler will pick up one 'bulky' item per week with your regular trash. This includes a mattress, boxspring, sofa, wood filing cabinet, chair, etc. Carpet must be cut into 4' lengths, rolled and tied or taped. Each roll must be less than 35 pounds, and they will take up to 3 rolls per week. Gently used furniture may be taken to the Recycle Center on Holt RD - they have a donation trailer for furniture in very good condition, or it may be turned in as construction debris for a fee. Other organizations that may accept furniture include GoodwillSalvation ArmyLazarus House (Lawrence), Emmaus House (Haverhill) or Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Also see Beyond the Bin directory for donation locations near you.

What can I do with my textiles (clothing, shoes, linens, etc.)?

When is yard waste collection and what is accepted?

  • Leaves are collected for a limited number of weeks in the Fall, usually in November. The timing is somewhat dependent on the weather and changes each year. Once the exact dates are decided, they will be posted to the DPW General Office page. You may also visit the NA Web Trash and Recycling Calendar located at the bottom of the Trash and Recycle page for updated information.
  • Our Spring collection for sticks and small branches that have come down over the winter or for spring yard clean up BROWN BIODEGRADABLE YARD BAGS are collected in the SPRING and again the timing is dependent on the weather. The sticks and branches MUST FIT IN THE YARD BAGS. But you should also look to the website for PERMIT FREE Dumping times or special additional days at Sharpners Pond Road - Cyr Recycle Facility.
  • For more information about our yard waste drop-off center, please visit the DPW General Office page.
  • Yard waste is one of the materials that is banned from disposal at incinerators and landfills, which is why we have set up programs to keep it out of the trash. Composting our yard waste either at the Cyr Recycling Center, or in our own back yards, just makes sense. For more information see Massachusetts State Waste Bans, and our Town Bylaws about trash disposal.