Applications are accepted by appointment only by calling 978-683-3168 or by sending an email to Firearm licensing Attention Officer Patrick Beirne.
If you are not a resident of North Andover you should obtain a license from the town in which you are a resident.
What you need before applying:
- A completed Firearm Application. See below.
- Certificate of Competency from an accepted training center
- If you have been a resident of North Andover for less than one year, provide prior address.
- If applying for a permit for protection, bring proof of need in writing. Some acceptable needs are businessmen making large cash deposits, collector (rents, insurance, etc.), salesperson (jewelry, high value samples), employment (security, guard).
- If applying for a permit for target and hunting, bring proof of availability of an approved range or target area. Gun club membership is acceptable proof. If firearms will be carried on the job, bring written approval from your employer.
The application process:
- Fingerprints will be taken as part of the process.
- A record check will be performed on all applicants.
- If record check is successful, then the application process is complete and the application is forwarded to Boston for approval. You will be notified by us when your license is returned. The approval process can take up to several weeks.
Certificate of Competency--Certified Agencies and Individuals:
Bob's Tactical Indoor Shooting Range
122 Lafayette Road
Salisbury, MA 01952
A.G. Guns and Ammos Inc.
164 Andover Street
Lowell, MA 01852
Andover Sportsmen's Club
655 Middleton Street
North Andover, MA 01845
P.O. Box 255
Andover, MA 01810
Firearm License Application download:
General Instructions regarding downloading:
The firearm license application form is in Adobe Acrobat format. (If you do not have Adobe Acrobat installed, you can download it here for free from Adobe's site. These forms are best printed at 300DPI or better.