1. When is the next police exam?

You can check for updates on the civil service exam on their webpage. Or, contact them directly at (617) 878-9700.

2. Is there a residency requirement?

No, however the appointing authority, who is the Board of Selectmen, does observe a resident preference. A resident will be considered over a non-resident especially if all other qualifications are equal. Click on link for Massachusetts Civil Service Laws M.G.L. Chapter 31 or Click here for the Massachusetts Human Resource Department.

3. Does the police department hire police officers from other cities or states?

Under Civil Service Laws it can be allowed. Keep in mind that you will have to take the civil service exam with all other applicants. See above for more information regarding the exam. However the Board of Selectmen have never elected to staff the police department by this means.

4. I am interested in a career in law enforcement. Do you offer internships within NAPD?

No, the Department doesn't hire interns for temporary employment. The Department will provide non-paying internships for college students that need to complete course requirements. Contact the Chief's Office: by calling 978-683-3168.

5. How can I become a Cadet?

At this time NAPD does not have a Cadet or Police Explorer program.

6. How do I request a tour of the North Andover Police Department?

Please contact Chief of Police Charles Gray at 978-683-3168 for an appointment. Tours are given on a limited basis and are available to small youth groups, business organizations and neighborhood groups.

7. I am moving to a neighborhood in North Andover and would like more information on crime statistics in that area. How do I obtain this information?

You can request crime statistics by sending a written request to:

Detective Lieutenant Eric J. Foulds
Criminal Investigation Division
North Andover Police Department
1475 Osgood Street
North Andover, Massachusetts 01845 (or)
Send an email

You may also fax your request to (978) 681-1172. Please include your name, phone number, address, fax number if applicable, and reason for your request.

8. How can I get a criminal check on another person?

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the police department may not obtain background checks on individuals as a public information request. This is called CORI - Criminal Offender Records Information and it is against the law for the police department to give out such information. However, you may call the Criminal History Board at (617) 660-4600 for more information on how to obtain a criminal check on an individual.

9. Can I leave crime or confidential information without calling the main police number?

Coming soon!

10. I want to report a crime i.e. stolen handbag, left my cell-phone in the taxi-cab, someone is using my credit card, etc.

If the incident occurred in the Town of North Andover, you should immediately call the North Andover Police Department at (978) 683-3168. If the incident just happened, for example, if your wallet was stolen, you should dial 9-1-1 for an immediate response. If you were not in the Town of North Andover at the time of the incident, you should contact the police department of that jurisdiction.


11. How can I obtain a license to carry a firearm?

You must apply, in person, to the Firearms Licensing Officer at the North Andover Police Department. The cost per application is $100.00 and if approved, will be valid for six years. There are two different types of licenses: License to Carry and Firearms Identification Card which both vary in requirements, depending on what class of weapons license you are applying for. If you did not have a firearms license before June 1, 1998, you must present a gun safety certificate before filling out the application. It takes approximately 35 to 40 days for the license to be approved.

Please note: all weapons must have a trigger lock or be kept in a tamper proof receptacle or other suitable locking device. You may call or email Officer Patrick Beirne with questions.

12. What is the age requirement to obtain these licenses?

For an LTC, the minimum age requirement is 21 years of age. For an FID, the minimum age requirement is 15 years of age and must be accompanied with a written letter of approval by parent up until the age of l8. All applicants must pass a criminal record check and have no felony convictions. There are also other restrictions that can be discussed at the time that you meet with the Firearms Licensing Officer.

13. I have a license to carry from another state and am moving to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. What procedures must I complete?

You must contact the Massachusetts State Police for more information if you are not moving to the Town of North Andover.

14. I have a license to carry from another state and am moving into the Town of North Andover. What procedures must I follow?

You must apply for a Massachusetts firearms license as soon as possible at the North Andover Police Department. See item #12 for more details. Applications and criteria are available at the police station.

15. How can I legally transport firearms from the state I currently reside in to Massachusetts?

The transporting of a firearm is controlled by the Volker-McClure Act of 1986, United States Code Annotated - Title 18 Criminal Procedure Part I - Crimes - Chapter 44 - Firearms, 18 USCA Section 926A - Interstate Transportation of Firearms

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political Subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

For an application and more information about obtaining a firearms license in North Andover please visit our Resource Center.

16. What happens when I go to court to contest a motor vehicle citation?

A hearing will be held before a magistrate of the court. The magistrate will listen to testimony from the police officer that issued the citation, and your testimony. The magistrate will then render a finding of "responsible," a guilty finding or "not responsible," a not guilty finding.

17. Do Police officers have quotas for the number of citations they must write?

No. All patrol Officers, however, have a responsibility to enforce traffic laws to insure the smooth flow of vehicular traffic and the safety of pedestrians that use the Town's roadways.

18. What does a "Warning" mean on a motor vehicle citation?

There is no fine associated with a warning, however, should you receive three separate warnings within one year, the Registry of Motor Vehicles has the option of suspending your driver's license.

19. Can I contest a "Warning" in court?

No. There is no procedure to contest a citation warning.

20. When must I report an auto accident?

When there is over $1,000.00 in total accident damages and/or personal injury.

21. What information do I need from the other operator?

You will need all the information from their operator's driver's license and vehicle registration. For more information, visit our Auto Accident Center.

22. What if I don't know who hit my car?

Call the police immediately, and if possible, do not move the vehicle.

23. Who do I send my written report to?

  1. Send one copy of your Commonwealth of Massachusetts Operator's Report of Motor Vehicle Accident Form, to the police department in the city or town where the accident occurred.
  2. Send original to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
  3. Your insurance company may also want a copy.
  4. Be sure that you keep a copy for your own records.

24. How long do I have to file my accident report?

You have five (5) business days to file your accident report.

25. Where do I pay a parking ticket?

You can pay a parking ticket at the North Andover Town Hall, 120 Main Street at the Tax Collector's window or mail your payment.

26. How do I contest a parking ticket?

To contest parking tickets you must contact the Parking Clerk at Town Hall by calling (978) 688-9550

27. What happens if I decide not to pay my parking ticket?

  1. Penalties will be added to the initial fine.
  2. The Registry of Motor Vehicles will not allow you to renew your driver's license.
  3. The Registry of Motor Vehicles will not allow you to renew your vehicle registration.

28. When is the "All Night Winter Parking Ban" enforced?

Click here to see the current Winter Parking Ban.

29. Why do we have an "All Night Parking Ban?"

In order to assure that the Public Works Department is able to clear the streets during a snowstorm.

30. Are there any exceptions to the "All Night Winter Parking Ban"?

Yes. If there is no snowstorm, the ban does not have to be observed on Christmas Eve, December 24th and New Year's Eve December 31st.