Disposal of unused medication and sharps for North Andover residents
Information on Proper Disposal of Syringes and Other Sharps. What Every Resident Needs to Know.
The North Andover Fire Department accepts sharps under certain conditions, if you have any you would like disposed of you will have to follow these guidelines.
Items may be dropped off at the following two locations:
- North Andover Fire Headquarters located at 795 Chickering Road (24/7)
- The Health Department located in the town hall (120 Main Street) during normal business hours. If you have any questions in relation to sharps disposal at town hall please contact: Caroline Ibbitson, Public Health Nurse (978) 688-9540
For proper disposal you will be required to have:
- The sharps must be empty (no medication)
- Sharps must be in a covered puncture resistant container, they must be closable, leak proof on sides and bottom, and labeled or color-coded. The cap must be secured (taped), they must be in a approved sharps container and if you do not have a approved sharps container then you may use a rigid plastic bottle such as a small laundry detergent bottle (apx 32oz). The North Andover Fire Department reserves the right to refuse any container based on available space in the sharps kiosk.
If you are dropping off a sharps container make sure that you see someone first to assist you with putting the container in the kiosk. You must have the proper container and it must be able to fit in the kiosk. If it does not fit, you must take it back with you, NO EXCEPTIONS.
DO NOT JUST DROP OFF A CONTAINER OR RANDOM SHARPS IN OUR LOBBY
The North Andover Fire Department does not accept unused medications, if you have unused medications you are to bring them to the North Andover Police Department.
North Andover Police Department is located at 1475 Osgood Street (24/7)
Please see the officer in charge prior to depositing medications in kiosk
Accepted Medications are as follows:
- Prescription medications
- Prescription patches
- Over the counter medicines
- Pet medications
- Liquid medications
- Medications for businesses or clinics
- Aerosol cans
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Illegal drugs